Before you invest in wine labels, it’s best to have options. Your choice of wine label stocks range in price point and durability. However, finding the best material to showcase your bottles is ultimately a decision to be made by you, your graphic designer, and your label printing company.

Wine labels consist of three parts: facestock, adhesive, and liner. While you may prefer a particular facestock for its look and feel, all three components should make sense for your bottle and its future environment.

Here’s a quick rundown of the different types of wine stocks, so you can choose the right packaging material and invest with confidence.

Classic Paper Wine Labels

Paper labels have an ongoing connection to wine bottles that consumers associate with a long tradition of winemaking. They’re also often the least expensive option.

When you think of a classic paper wine label, it’s the various types of Estate papers that likely come to mind and with good reason. Originally created for fine wine bottles, Estate materials are finely-crafted textured papers that are now universally popular for their sophistication and versatility. Papers that mimic linen or uncoated eggshell papers can offer different textures to achieve your desired look.

Another advantage of paper labels is that they’re best suited for high-end embellishments:

  • Add shine with hot foil stamping
  • Use embossing to create a premium look
  • Highlight a focal point with spot varnish
  • Offer unique shapes using die cutting
  • Protect your label with matte varnish

In some cases, moisture can be an issue. Despite paper facestocks with wet-strength features, paper is more likely to absorb water in an ice bucket test. Paper stocks aren’t waterproof and probably not for your brand if you’ll run the risk of disintegration over time.

Film Wine Labels

Label material selection is about finding a construction that fits your aesthetic preferences and outlasts your product’s environment. Few materials perform better than BOPP film.

Film facestock labels are water resistant, which means they’re perfect for white wine bottles destined for chilling before use (or any other bottles that will face moisture somewhere along the product life cycle).

Wine labels with film facestock may also be a strategic branding choice. Its modern, sleek look can differentiate your bottle from a sea of Estate paper labels. Several design options include the “no label” look using clear film facestock or metalized film to add the illusion of copper, brass, or gold.

Durable Hybrid Wine Labels

If you prefer the traditional look of paper but don’t want to compromise durability in cold temperatures and wet environments, a hybrid facestock may be your best option. Paper on top with film on the bottom secures the label, making it the right choice for ice bucket wines.

Unfortunately, hybrid facestocks won’t hold embellishments such as hot foil stamping and embossing as well as paper does. Since a layer of BOPP film is typically woven into the material to help shield your labels from moisture, the price point is also higher. However, protecting your labels from damage may be worth the investment.

Specialty Wine Labels

Wine brands looking for something entirely different may be suited for specialty stocks. These can be constructed of paper or film, but their aesthetic is entirely new. We can offer specialty materials that include:

  • Brilliant white cotton labels
  • Linen, felt or velvet materials
  • Holographic films
  • Gloss, matte, and satin varnishes or laminates

As wine labels tend to follow traditional design norms, these types of specialty materials can make your bottle stand out. It’s also important to note that while 29% of consumers know which wine brand they intend to buy before entering a store, the remaining 71% of consumers make their decision at the shelf. Bold design choices can be key.

Find a Label Printing Company to Guide Your Label Material Choices

Most brands begin with a vision of their desired look, but it’s important to partner with a printing company that can guide you to materials that can achieve both stunning design and long-lasting durability. At Labels & Specialty Products, we use digital and flexo press technology to print top-quality wine labels with the finishing capabilities to elevate your label design well above your competition.

Contact Labels & Specialty Products today to speak with our experts about your next label printing project.